Ebola-hit African states seal off outbreak epicentre
Conakry: Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone announced on Friday an isolation zone sealing off the epicentre of the world`s worst-ever Ebola outbreak, where the three countries meet.
"We have agreed to take important and extraordinary actions at the inter-country level to focus on cross-border regions that have more than 70 percent of the epidemic," said Hadja Saran Darab, the secretary-general of the Mano River Union bloc grouping the West African nations.
"These areas will be isolated by police and military. The people in these areas being isolated will be provided with material support," Darab added.
The announcement came at the end of an emergency summit, also attended by Ivory Coast and the World Health Organization, to launch a USD 100 million response to an epidemic which has killed more 700 people.
"The health care services in these zones will be strengthened for treatment, testing and contact tracing to be done effectively.
"Burials will be done in accordance with national health regulations. We agreed to provide our health personnel with incentives, treatment and protection so they could come back to work."
Darab did not outline the exact area to be part of the isolation zone, but the epicentre of the outbreak spreads from Kenema in eastern Sierra Leone to Macenta in southern Guinea, almost 300 kilometres (185 miles) away.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- Does religion teach gender discrimination?
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!
- Say goodbye to your acidity woes with these ten simple tips!
- India prays for Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa; PM, Army Chief visit hospital