Ecuador criticises Britain for Assange deadlock
Quito: Ecuador expressed its concern about the fate of WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange on Thursday and criticised Britain for depriving him of his right to seek asylum.
Ecuador has been pushing for its "full right to offer asylum to Assange", but has failed to get cooperation from Britain, Ecuadorian Foreign Minister Ricardo Patino said in an interview with the state-run Gama TV.
Ecuador granted Assange political asylum in August, two months after the former hacker turned up at Ecuadorian embassy in London to avoid extradition to Sweden, where the authorities want to question him over two sexual assault allegations, reported Xinhua.
The founder of the whistleblowing website has had to hole up at the embassy, as Britain refuses to grant him safe passage out of the country.
Ecuador`s diplomatic talks with Britain and Sweden have failed to work out a solution, as neither offered a guarantee that Assange won`t be handed over to the US for prosecution of espionage.
"The situation has much to do with Britain`s decision," Patino said. "We are concerned that after six months his right to asylum continues to be violated."
Patino said he didn`t rule out the possibility of taking the case to an international court after exhausting diplomatic channels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!