Ecuador foreign minister to arrive in UK in bid to end Assange impasse
London: Ecuador`s foreign minister will be arriving in the UK for talks with his British counterpart over the situation of Wikileaks founder Julian Assange.
Assange has been granted political asylum by Ecuador, but will be arrested by British authorities if he leaves the Ecuadorian embassy in London.
Ricardo Patino will meet William Hague on Monday and visit Assange later. According to the BBC, Assange is wanted in Sweden as he faces sexual assault allegations by two women.
Patino said he hoped his visit would help to move the situation forward and Hague would show a degree of flexibility, the report said. A Foreign Office spokesman said that they were committed to seeking a diplomatic solution to the situation and will also ensure that the country`s laws are followed.
The spokesperson added that the UK has a legal obligation to extradite Assange to Sweden to face questioning over allegations of sexual offences, and the British police must fulfil this, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing