Ecuador mulls taking Assange case to The Hague
Quito (Ecuador): Ecuador is considering taking the case of WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, who is holed up in the country`s embassy in London, to The Hague-based International Court of Justice, Foreign Minister Ricardo Patino has said.
Assange has been living in the embassy for more than a year, after Ecuador granted him political asylum, but Britain refused to let him leave the country by denying safe passage, Xinhua reported.
"We are seriously analysing what we have to do in the coming months to turn to other venues, because we have been reinforcing diplomacy, making one proposal after another," but to no avail, Patino told state-run Gama TV.
Asked what other recourse was available to Ecuador, Patino said, "Going, for example, to the International Court of Justice to take up the issue."
It is "absolutely unacceptable" that Assange remains "holed up" at Ecuador`s embassy, after nearly a year-and-a -half, stressed Patino.
Britain has shown little interest "in finding a legal, political and diplomatic resolution" to the stalemate, the minister said.
Assange took refuge at the embassy to avoid being extradited to Sweden, where he is wanted for questioning in two sexual assault cases and likely to be rendered over to US authorities instead.
The US has reportedly prepared charges against him for espionage and other crimes for his role in revealing thousands of confidential and embarrassing, if not incriminating, documents and videos through his anti-secrecy website.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt