Ecuador says committed to resolving Assange`s asylum issue
Sydney: The Ecuadorian government has reportedly said that it is committed to find a solution to the long-standing issue of WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange who has been holed up at the country`s embassy in London for more than a year.
Assange is facing allegations of sexual assault against two women which he denies and faces possible extradition to Sweden from where he might be forcibly taken to the US to face the espionage charges.
According to News.com.au, the Ecuadorian government said that it took the decision to grant Assange asylum one year back because he feared political persecution after publishing classified information of the US government exposing war crimes, killings, torture and other human rights abuses which would otherwise never have come to light.
The government accepted that accepts that resolving Assange`s status and specifically his right to leave the embassy without threat of arrest and onward extradition to the US involves the jurisdictions of three sovereign nations namely the UK, Sweden and Ecuador.
The report added the government saying that it remains committed to finding an equitable solution Assange`s situation that respects domestic and international law and also protecting him from inhumane treatment and the threats of political persecution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets 2000 km strategic road for development
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Traditional Indian diet dramatically cuts Alzheimer's risk
- Carnage in Florida: KL Rahul, Evin Lewis tons laid foundation for West Indies-India T20I run mountain
- Over 34,500 criminals sentenced in 1 year in UP: DGP(Prosecution)
- Venezuela sends opposition leader back to jail, expels Ecuadoran lawmakers
- Burhan Wani's father meets Sri Sri Ravi Shankar