Ecuador volcano spews ash spume, 200 evacuated
Quito: Authorities in Ecuador say at least 200 people have been evacuated from near the Tungurahua volcano after it spewed an ash plume more than 5 kilometers into the air.
The regional director of the National Risk Management Secretariat, Lourdes Mayorga, says the explosion produced ash and pyroclastic flows, and could be felt hundreds of kilometers away.
She said yesterday that at least 200 people were evacuated from the zones of Cusua, Chacauco and Juive near the volcano. Authorities declared an orange alert, which allows officials to acquire the goods and carry out works to provide humanitarian assistance if needed.
Tungurahua has been active for more than 13 years. The 5,023 meter volcano is located about 135 kilometers southeast of the capital, Quito.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- Divyansh Kakrora's death: Probe nails Ryan International School for glaring lapses; father alleges child was sodomised before murder
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step