Edward Snowden arrives in Moscow, may leave for another country
Zee Media Bureau
Hong Kong: NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden, who had stirred up a hornet’s nest by his latest revelations about the US spying extensively on China, arrived in Moscow on Sunday after leaving Hong Kong, reports said.
There are speculation that he might leave for another country.
According to a South China Morning Post report, Edward Snowden boarded a commercial flight to Russia on Sunday morning, though Moscow wouldn’t be his final destination.
However, Snowden has previously indicated that his other options may be Iceland or Ecuador.
In a statement, Hong Kong government said that Snowden had left the country "on his own accord for a third country through a lawful and normal channel".
Snowden boarded Aeroflot Flight SU213, which is scheduled to land at Moscow’s Shermetyevo International Airport at 5.15pm, the report added.
Hong Kong has conveyed the information of Snowden’s departure to the US, saying that the former British colony couldn’t bar Snowden from leaving the country as there was not enough “information to process the request for provisional warrant of arrest”.
Snowden, who was holed up in Hong Kong since May 20 after leaking a trove of secret information about US spying programmes, was yesterday slapped by US officials with charges of espionage, theft of government data and conveying classified information to unauthorised person.
The charges could make it difficult for Hong Kong which is governed by China to deny his extradition on political grounds under their extradition treaty.
After he was charged, Snowden came up with fresh revelations against the US, claiming that the US was involved in intensive hacking attacks on Tsinghua University – a top Chinese university which carries out a number of China`s research programmes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks