Edward Snowden is not a spy: Julian Assange
Zee Media Bureau
London: While rejecting all allegations on Snowden, a young contractor who is allegedly behind leaks exposing America`s surveillance programs (NSA), WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange said the technology expert is a whistle-blower and not a spy.
"Snowden is not a spy," Julian Assange said.
Edward Snowden, 29, had revealed himself as the source for sensational revelations in The Guardian and The Washington Post on how US spy agencies trawl through phone records and Internet traffic looking for possible terror threats.
After the revelation, Snowden had left Hong Kong on Sunday after which there is a huge speculation on his whereabouts.
Earlier, Assange had said, "Edward Snowden is healthy and safe."
"I cannot give further information as to their whereabouts or present circumstances other than to say that the matter is in hand."
"We are aware where Snowden is, he is in a safe place and his spirits are high. Due to the bellicose threats coming from the US administration we cannot go into further detail at this time. Unfortunately we cannot reveal what country he is in at this time," he had said.
After leaving his bolthole in Hong Kong, Snowden vanished in Moscow on Monday after failing to take a flight to Cuba from where he had been expected to continue to Ecuador and claim asylum.
Ecuador has been harbouring Assange in its London embassy for a year after he fled there to avoid deportation to Sweden where investigators want to question him about accusations of rape.
Assange had aslo said that Snowden left Hong Kong on Sunday, bound for Ecuador via a safe passage through Russia and other states.
Snowden went on the run after embarrassing US President Barack Obama by revealing a massive surveillance programme.
US Secretary of State John Kerry has dubbed Snowden a traitor to his country and warned both Russia and China that their relations with the United States might be damaged by their refusal to extradite him.
With Agency inputs
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata