Cairo: An Egyptian diplomat in Libya says 32 missing Egyptians survived a sinking boat and were smuggled into Libya. The search for seven more missing continues.
Ashraf Sheiha told Egypt`s official news agency Tuesday that Libyan authorities confirmed that most of the Egyptians on the boat that capsized a day earlier entered Libya illegally.
Officials had said earlier that three bodies washed ashore Libya yesterday, while one survived. Sheiha said search continues for seven missing. The discrepancy couldn`t immediately be reconciled.
They were part of a three-boat fleet carrying Egyptians heading to Europe illegally. One boat, carrying nearly three times its maximum load, capsized Saturday night.
Thousands of Egyptians make the dangerous sea journey to flee poverty and high unemployment at home.