Egypt: 96 artifacts stolen from museum
Cairo: Egypt`s Ministry of Antiquities has announced that nearly a hundred small artifacts, some dating back to the time of the Pharaohs, have gone missing from a museum in the southernmost city of Aswan.
In Wednesday`s statement the ministry says 96 artifacts, mostly small figurines and beads, disappeared from the Aswan Museum`s storehouse.
Employees noticed a number of artifacts missing, the statement said. A committee looking into the theft checked the storehouse`s inventory and found that the lock on the inner door had been broken.
Officials in Aswan said the disappearance was a first for the museum, which hasn`t experienced the thefts that have plagued some other museums around the country throughout the unrest of the past three years.
They spoke anonymously as they weren`t authorised to brief the press.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Peter Mukerjea knew Sheena was Indrani's daughter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them