Egypt: ‘Administrative delays’ defers court ruling on assembly
Cairo: A hearing to determine the legitimacy of panel dominated by Islamists which approved the draft Constitution by President Mohamed Mursi was reportedly postponed on Sunday by Supreme Constitutional court.
Thousands of Mursi’s supporters, who had earlier assembled outside the court, protested against the decision and prevented judiciary members from entering the courthouse, as per news agency report.
The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to brief the media, did not know whether a new date has been set for the ruling, which is part of a worsening political crisis in Egypt pitting the largely secular opposition and powerful judiciary against Mursi and his fellow Islamists.
The MENA state news agency said the judges are expected to issue a statement later Sunday to explain their position.
The protesters began to gather outside the court on Saturday night and the officials said the judges did not show up at the court on Sunday out of fear for their safety.
In the past, Islamists have assaulted secular politicians, lawyers and activists outside court complexes as judges inside deliberated rulings anticipated to be against their interests.
Islamists say that the courts are filled with judges loyal to Hosni Mubarak`s ousted regime. The Supreme Constitutional Court ruled in June to dissolve the Islamist-dominated People`s Assembly, parliament`s lawmaking lower chamber, on the grounds that a third of its members were illegally elected.
Besides ruling on the legitimacy of the constituent assembly, the court was also expected Sunday to rule on parliament`s upper chamber, also dominated by Islamists.
A ruling from the court — regardless of which way it goes — would be a direct challenge to Mursi, who last month gave himself near absolute powers, placing himself and the assembly above any oversight, including by the judiciary.
Mursi`s decrees caused uproar among the nation`s secular-led opposition. Further stoking the anger, the constituent assembly last week rushed through a vote on the charter`s 230 clauses in an all-night session.
(With Agency Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset