Egypt announces referendum date for new constitution
Johannesburg: Egypt`s interim president Adly Mansour has said a referendum on a new draft constitution would be held next month.
In a speech to the nation, flanked by high-ranking officials, Mansour called upon the Egyptians to vote in a referendum on the revised draft constitution on January 14 and 15.
According to a news channel, it will be the first step towards elected rule in a country deeply polarised after president Mohamed Morsi was ousted by the military.
The constitutional referendum is to be followed by parliamentary and presidential elections in mid-2014.
A 50-member panel drafted the new constitution after the interim authorities suspended the previous version of the charter written under Morsi.
Mansour praised the revised draft for its provisions on the `securing of human rights, freedoms and the balancing of powers,` the report said.
He said that it was a good start on which to build the institutions of a democratic and modern state, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre