Egypt Army deploys tanks near Prez palace; 7 killed in clashes
Cairo: Egyptian Army Friday deployed tanks outside the Presidential Palace and ordered rampaging mobs to clear the area after overnight clashes between supporters and opponents of Islamist President Mohamed Mursi killed at least seven people and left nearly 700 injured.
Tanks and armoured cars were positioned outside the Presidential Palace as hundreds of Mursi`s supporters chanted slogans in his favour, amid growing unrest over a controversial draft Constitution.
The state news agency said the military deployment on Thursday around the palace was to "secure" the building.
The Egyptian army then began to clear the area around the presidential palace ordering demonstrators and media organisations to vacate the place.
It followed violent overnight clashes between supporters and opponents of President Mursi that left seven people dead and 644 injured, media reports said.
Violence continued today as Mursi`s opponents attacked the headquarters of the Freedom and Justice Party, the Muslim Brotherhood`s political arm, in several cities.
However, there was no word on it from the Presidency which said Mursi is likely to deliver a speech shortly.
Also today, Egypt`s top Islamic body called on Mursi to suspend a decree in which he claimed sweeping powers and demanded an unconditional dialogue between the president and his opponents.
The Al-Azhar institution said, Mursi should "suspend the latest decree and stop using it," in a statement.
By this morning, the Republican Guard had deployed at least 10 tanks and troops outside the palace.
Supporters of Mursi responded to a call to rally outside the Presidential Palace yesterday, while the mainly secular opponents of the President were already staging a sit-in protest there.
Protesters fired guns and threw firebombs and rocks at each other as stand-off over Mursi`s expanded powers continued.
Riot police were finally sent in to control the situation, but clashes still took place in side streets near the presidential compound yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`