Egypt army intervened to save democracy: Kerry
Islamabad: US Secretary of State John Kerry said on Friday the Egyptian army, which deposed president Mohamed Morsi, had intervened at the request of millions to protect democracy and had restored it.
Kerry made the remarks in a interview in Pakistan where he earlier congratulated the new government on an historic transition of democratic power in a country long dominated by the military.
He was asked by Geo television why the United States had not taken a clear position on military intervention against Morsi`s democratically elected government.
"The military was asked to intervene by millions and millions of people, all of whom were afraid of a descendance into chaos, into violence," Kerry told Geo.
"And the military did not take over, to the best of our judgement - so far. To run the country, there`s a civilian government. In effect, they were restoring democracy," he added.
The interviewer questioned him over allegations that Egyptian troops have shot dead people in the streets.
"Oh, no. That`s not restoring democracy, and we`re very, very concerned... I`ve been in touch with all of the players there. And we have made it clear that that is absolutely unacceptable, it cannot happen," Kerry said.
He said the United States was working with the European Union and other countries to see if the troubles in Egypt could be resolved peacefully.
"But the story of Egypt is not finished yet, so we have to see how it unfolds in the next days," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened