Egypt arrests fugitive linked to Red Sea bombings
El-Arish: Egyptian security officials said Monday they arrested an escaped convict who was sentenced to life in prison for his role in bombings at tourist resorts on the Red Sea that killed at least 125 people in 2004 and 2005.
Mohammed Abdullah Abu-Jarir was arrested in his home before dawn in the northern Sinai Peninsula town of Sabeel, just outside the provincial capital of el-Arish, the officials said.
Abu-Jarir had been convicted for his role in attacks on Sharm el-Sheikh and Taba, but escaped a Cairo prison during last year`s popular uprising that led to the ouster of longtime autocratic ruler Hosni Mubarak.
Abu Jarir`s brother-in-law, Hassan Ghanem, was also arrested in Sabeel today, the officials added. Ghanem had been wanted in connection with the so-called "Nasr City terror cell", accused of plotting attacks against public figures in Egypt including the new president, Mohammed Morsi.
Two others, originally from northern Sinai, were arrested Sunday in Cairo in connection with the case. They will join eight other men, including three former military officers and a Tunisian, already detained as suspected members of the cell.
The eight have denied the accusations, according to officials involved in interrogations led by state prosecutors. All officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media.
Egypt`s army and security forces have launched an offensive to "restore control" of Sinai, after suspected Islamic militants killed 16 soldiers in a stunning attack in August.
No group has claimed responsibility for the killings however, and the security offensive has yielded few tangible results. Militant attacks on police checkpoints have become a regular occurrence, and extremists also have struck across the border into neighboring Israel.
Bedouin tribesmen in Sinai have long complained of discrimination by the state, and mass arrests in the area after the 2004 and 2005 bombings only further poisoned relations between residents and authorities. Investigations into the bombings have never given a clear explanation of who was behind the attacks.
Also today, the US Embassy in Cairo said Assistant Secretary of Defense for International Security Affairs Derek Chollet was visiting the northern Sinai region for briefings with US troops stationed there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in