Egypt arrests fugitive linked to Red Sea bombings
El-Arish: Egyptian security officials said Monday they arrested an escaped convict who was sentenced to life in prison for his role in bombings at tourist resorts on the Red Sea that killed at least 125 people in 2004 and 2005.
Mohammed Abdullah Abu-Jarir was arrested in his home before dawn in the northern Sinai Peninsula town of Sabeel, just outside the provincial capital of el-Arish, the officials said.
Abu-Jarir had been convicted for his role in attacks on Sharm el-Sheikh and Taba, but escaped a Cairo prison during last year`s popular uprising that led to the ouster of longtime autocratic ruler Hosni Mubarak.
Abu Jarir`s brother-in-law, Hassan Ghanem, was also arrested in Sabeel today, the officials added. Ghanem had been wanted in connection with the so-called "Nasr City terror cell", accused of plotting attacks against public figures in Egypt including the new president, Mohammed Morsi.
Two others, originally from northern Sinai, were arrested Sunday in Cairo in connection with the case. They will join eight other men, including three former military officers and a Tunisian, already detained as suspected members of the cell.
The eight have denied the accusations, according to officials involved in interrogations led by state prosecutors. All officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media.
Egypt`s army and security forces have launched an offensive to "restore control" of Sinai, after suspected Islamic militants killed 16 soldiers in a stunning attack in August.
No group has claimed responsibility for the killings however, and the security offensive has yielded few tangible results. Militant attacks on police checkpoints have become a regular occurrence, and extremists also have struck across the border into neighboring Israel.
Bedouin tribesmen in Sinai have long complained of discrimination by the state, and mass arrests in the area after the 2004 and 2005 bombings only further poisoned relations between residents and authorities. Investigations into the bombings have never given a clear explanation of who was behind the attacks.
Also today, the US Embassy in Cairo said Assistant Secretary of Defense for International Security Affairs Derek Chollet was visiting the northern Sinai region for briefings with US troops stationed there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- US Open: Andy Murray, Serena Williams swing into action on Day 2
- China must recognise South China Sea ruling: Philippines
- New Zealand to keep trialling day-night first-class cricket
- Delhi sex racket busted: Girls confined in almirahs; forced to sleep with clients in cubicles
- SMASH HIT: Akshay Kumar's 'Rustom' is still ruling the Box Office! – Details inside