Egypt arrests wanted militant in Sinai
El-Arish: Egyptian authorities say they have arrested a militant wanted for his alleged role in planning and carrying out deadly attacks last year on a police station and a bank in the Sinai Peninsula.
Security officials say police and military forces captured Hamada Abou Shita after raiding his hideout in a Bedouin village in the Sheik Zweid district near the Gaza border before dawn today.
Egypt`s military launched an offencive against militants in Sinai after a brazen attack by extremists on a border outpost on Aug 5 killed 16 soldiers.
An Egyptian court sentenced Abu Shita to death in absentia on Aug 14 for his alleged part in the 2011 attacks.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to speak to the press.
- NEET first phase will be held on May 1; Supreme Court declines Centre's plea, says let the exams go on
- CBSE challenges Kerala HC order allowing Hijab in exam hall for AIPMT 2016
- Now, BJP leader Prem Prakash Pandey wastes gallons of water on daughter's wedding in Chhattisgarh
- Peppermint tea boosts memory in adults!
- Gold price tops Rs 30,000-mark, hits two-year high on global cues