Egypt arrests wanted militant in Sinai
El-Arish: Egyptian authorities say they have arrested a militant wanted for his alleged role in planning and carrying out deadly attacks last year on a police station and a bank in the Sinai Peninsula.
Security officials say police and military forces captured Hamada Abou Shita after raiding his hideout in a Bedouin village in the Sheik Zweid district near the Gaza border before dawn today.
Egypt`s military launched an offencive against militants in Sinai after a brazen attack by extremists on a border outpost on Aug 5 killed 16 soldiers.
An Egyptian court sentenced Abu Shita to death in absentia on Aug 14 for his alleged part in the 2011 attacks.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to speak to the press.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics?
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part II
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part III
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part IV
- Why is Mehbooba Mufti attacking Hindu beliefs for votes?
- Domestic passenger traffic to cross 100 million by year-end: DGCA
- Assam CM-designate Sarbananda Sonowal thanks PM Narendra Modi on being elected as BJP legislature leader
- Congress backs Raghuram Rajan, says India ''going through a bad shape''
- Non-bailable warrant against BJP MP Manoj Tiwari, four others
- Bid rivals set to join forces for Tata Steel UK buyout: Report