Egypt arrests wanted militant in Sinai
El-Arish: Egyptian authorities say they have arrested a militant wanted for his alleged role in planning and carrying out deadly attacks last year on a police station and a bank in the Sinai Peninsula.
Security officials say police and military forces captured Hamada Abou Shita after raiding his hideout in a Bedouin village in the Sheik Zweid district near the Gaza border before dawn today.
Egypt`s military launched an offencive against militants in Sinai after a brazen attack by extremists on a border outpost on Aug 5 killed 16 soldiers.
An Egyptian court sentenced Abu Shita to death in absentia on Aug 14 for his alleged part in the 2011 attacks.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to speak to the press.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence – Part II
- I am a Goddess for the weaker section which is making people angry: Mayawati
- Sacked BJP leader Dayashankar to be arrested soon for controversial remark on Mayawati
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?