Egypt arrests wanted militant in Sinai
El-Arish: Egyptian authorities say they have arrested a militant wanted for his alleged role in planning and carrying out deadly attacks last year on a police station and a bank in the Sinai Peninsula.
Security officials say police and military forces captured Hamada Abou Shita after raiding his hideout in a Bedouin village in the Sheik Zweid district near the Gaza border before dawn today.
Egypt`s military launched an offencive against militants in Sinai after a brazen attack by extremists on a border outpost on Aug 5 killed 16 soldiers.
An Egyptian court sentenced Abu Shita to death in absentia on Aug 14 for his alleged part in the 2011 attacks.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to speak to the press.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH