Egypt bars Islamist hard-liner political party
Cairo: Egypt has barred formation of a new
political party by an Islamist group that was once involved in
a bloody insurgency against the government.
Egypt`s state news agency said the Political Parties`
Affairs Committee rejected today the request by al-Gamaa
al-Islamiyya because its proposed party is based on "religious
grounds in violation of the law".
It was also rejected because it advocates a strict
interpretation of Islamic law, under which thieves can be
punished by cutting off their hands and murderers can face
Al-Gamaa al-Islamiyya, once Egypt`s largest militant
group, waged an insurrection against the government in the
1990s, but have since renounced violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested