Egypt blocks border crossing with Gaza
Gaza: Egyptian authorities have abruptly shut down a terminal shared with the Hamas-ruled Gaza strip, citing security reasons, a Hamas official said.
The Rafah terminal on the border with Gaza Strip was closed Saturday, reports Xinhua.
Maher Abu Sabha, chief of the Hamas-run crossings authorities in Gaza, said Egypt informed the Palestinian side that the crossing was closed.
"The Egyptian side told us that the sudden closure of the crossing was due to the tense security situation in the Sinai peninsula and the Egyptian side of Rafah city," he said.
Since June 30, when President Mohamed Morsi was ousted, Egypt has been only partially opening the crossing due to the deteriorating security situation.
Abu Sabha criticised the slow movement and decrease in the number of hours for which the border stays open. He called on Egypt to permanently open the crossing for humanitarian reasons.
Hamas officials in Gaza said the number of passengers who travel through the Rafah border crossing daily has dropped from 1,200 people to 300 people.
Earlier, the UN expressed concern over the restrictions imposed on the Rafah border crossing, and called on both Egypt and Israel to permanently open all Gaza Strip crossing points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'