Egypt blocks border crossing with Gaza
Gaza: Egyptian authorities have abruptly shut down a terminal shared with the Hamas-ruled Gaza strip, citing security reasons, a Hamas official said.
The Rafah terminal on the border with Gaza Strip was closed Saturday, reports Xinhua.
Maher Abu Sabha, chief of the Hamas-run crossings authorities in Gaza, said Egypt informed the Palestinian side that the crossing was closed.
"The Egyptian side told us that the sudden closure of the crossing was due to the tense security situation in the Sinai peninsula and the Egyptian side of Rafah city," he said.
Since June 30, when President Mohamed Morsi was ousted, Egypt has been only partially opening the crossing due to the deteriorating security situation.
Abu Sabha criticised the slow movement and decrease in the number of hours for which the border stays open. He called on Egypt to permanently open the crossing for humanitarian reasons.
Hamas officials in Gaza said the number of passengers who travel through the Rafah border crossing daily has dropped from 1,200 people to 300 people.
Earlier, the UN expressed concern over the restrictions imposed on the Rafah border crossing, and called on both Egypt and Israel to permanently open all Gaza Strip crossing points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah