Egypt braces for early presidential polls
Cairo: Egypt`s military leader has told
electoral officials to speed up preparations for presidential
elections after a new eruption of street protests demanding
that the ruling generals move more quickly to hand power to an
The military rulers had previously promised to hold
presidential elections for their successor by the end of June.
But Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi, the head of the ruling
military council, yesterday asked election commission
officials "to quickly finish legal procedures for presidency
nominations," according to Egypt`s state-run news agency MENA.
Election Commission Chief Abdel-Moez Ibrahim said that based on Tantawi`s orders, nominations
for president would be accepted on March 10, a month earlier
than the original date.
He didn`t give a date for elections, but it was an
indication that the vote may be held about a month ahead of
The ruling council pledged "to hand power to an elected
civilian authority in a democratic, transparent and honest
Relations between the pro-democracy movement behind
Egypt`s uprising last year and the ruling generals who took
power from ousted President Hosni Mubarak have grown
increasingly hostile, punctuated by bouts of rioting, clashes
The protesters have long called for an immediate transfer
of power to a civilian authority and accuse the generals of
bungling what was supposed to be a transition to democracy.
Egypt has already held parliamentary elections which were the
freest and the fairest in decades and propelled Islamists to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh