Egypt braces for showdown on `Friday of Martyrs`
Zee Media Bureau
Cairo: Even as Mohammed Morsi remains detained at a secret location, supporters of the ousted Egyptian president have called for demonstrations over the weekend.
With Morsi supporters announcing to stage mass protests on the "Friday of martyrs", Egypt braced for escalated violence between the security officials and protesters.
Importantly, former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak is in a military hospital in Cairo after being freed from a prison to be put in house arrest.
The pro-Morsi National Coalition to Support Legitimacy and Reject the Coup named 28 mosques in the Cairo area as departure points for demonstrations against the legitimacy of the interim government.
Egypt has witnessed unprecedented violent clashes since security forces dispersed two major pro-Morsi sit-ins in the country a week ago. Till now, nearly 1,000 people have been killed across the country, including some 100 policemen.
The alliance has failed over the past three days to organise massive marches, while the Egyptian authorities have detained the Muslim Brotherhood`s top leader Tuesday over inciting violence and killing anti-Morsi protesters.
Islamist groups in Egypt have been accusing Morsi`s ouster in early July as a "military coup".
Morsi, who was democratically elected last year, was deposed by the military on July 3, and is being held at an undisclosed location. He faces charges relating to his escape from prison in 2011 and inciting the deaths and torture of protesters.
Egypt has been undergoing a democratic transition since the fall of president Hosni Mubarak two years ago.
In July this year, Mohamed Morsi, the first democratically elected president, was deposed by the armed forces after only one year in office.
The constitution was suspended and an interim government was then installed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal