Egypt breaks ties with France`s Louvre Museum
Cairo: Egypt today announced that it has cut
all cooperation with France`s Louvre Museum until it secures
the return of "stolen" Pharaonic antiquities in the latest row
involving the exhibits of a major European institution.
"We made the decision to end any cooperation with the
Louvre until they return" the works, antiquities chief Zahi
He charged that the renowned Paris museum had bought the
antiquities in 1980 even though its curators knew they were
"The purchase of stolen steles is a sign that some
museums are prepared to encourage the destruction and theft of
Egyptian antiquities," Hawass said.
The decision to suspend cooperation will affect
conferences organised with the museum, as well as work carried
out by the Louvre on the Pharaonic necropolis of Saqqara,
south of the capital Cairo.
French sources said that the antiquities Egypt was
demanding were decorative fragments from a tomb in the Valley
of the Kings near Luxor, which had been acquired in a
"transparent" manner by the Louvre.
"Everyone is working to try and make it possible to
return the pieces to Cairo once a legal framework has been
found," one French source said.
Hawass said the decision to cut ties had been taken two
months ago, implying that it had nothing to do with Egyptian
unhappiness over the defeat of Culture Minister Faruq Hosni in
the race to become the new director of the UN Educational,
Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot