Egypt canal city car bomb wounds 6 soldiers: Security
Cairo: A car bomb exploded outside a military intelligence building in Egypt`s Suez Canal city of Ismailiya on Saturday, wounding six soldiers, the army said.
The blast destroyed part of the military compound`s wall and set fire to several cars in the area.
"This is the latest in a series of cowardly terrorist attacks by extremist elements against the people of Egypt and army installations," said military spokesman Colonel Ahmed Ali in a statement.
He said six soldiers were lightly wounded in the attack.
Security officials said a second car bomb was found in the area, but experts managed to defuse it.
Witnesses said they heard gunfire around the time of the explosion.
Ismailiya and surrounding areas have seen regular attacks on police and military personnel, especially since the military toppled Islamist president Mohamed Morsi on July 3.
More than 100 policemen have been killed across Egypt in attacks and clashes since then.
The military has been conducting an extensive operation in the Sinai Peninsula, east of the Suez canal to crack down on Islamist militants, who have killed dozens of soldiers and policemen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH