Egypt clashes: Mohamed Morsi supporters clash with police
Zee Media Bureau
Cairo: Even as a US envoy, William Burns, is on a visit in the country, supporters of ousted president Mohamed Morsi clashed with the police on Monday.
Police had to use tear gas to quell the supporters who blocked a main route disrupting movement.
The clashes started after Burns, Assistant Secretary of State, said that the current transitional phase in the country is a second chance to create a democratic state.
The fresh conflict took place after around 50 Muslim Brotherhood supporters were killed in deadly clashes and hundreds injured after they were holding a sit-in in front of Republican Guard forces club where Morsi is allegedly held.
The Brotherhood accuses the military of opening fire on protesters, while the Army says Morsi supporters instigated the violence.
Morsi was Egypt`s first freely-elected President, succeeding autocrat Hosni Mubarak who was toppled in 2011. The military ousted Morsi after protesters took to the streets calling for his removal.
(With PTI Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read