Egypt clashes: US delegation in Cairo to hold talks
Cairo: In the wake of recent clashes between Christians and Muslims in Egypt in which six Christians were killed and nine injured, a US Congress delegation has arrived here to examine the situation and meet representatives of both the communities.
The delegates are expected to visit the site of violence in upper Egypt and meet with members of national council for human rights, interior and foreign affairs ministries, as well as representatives from Egyptian church and the main religious Islamic body Al-Azhar.
The scuffle between the two communities broke out on the eve of Coptic Christmas in the southern Egyptian town of Nagaa Hammadi as the members of Christian community were leaving church after midnight mass.
Following the incident, European Union`s Parliament and the US congress criticised the Egyptian government for its apparent failure to protect the Christians, who are a minority in Egypt.
The Egyptian Foreign Ministry in response criticised the statement by the EU, saying this was an internal matter and no foreign body should interfere.
Meanwhile, hundreds of Egyptian Christians in Europe organised rallies in major cities to call for protection of Christians in Egypt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested