Egypt clashes: US delegation in Cairo to hold talks
Cairo: In the wake of recent clashes between Christians and Muslims in Egypt in which six Christians were killed and nine injured, a US Congress delegation has arrived here to examine the situation and meet representatives of both the communities.
The delegates are expected to visit the site of violence in upper Egypt and meet with members of national council for human rights, interior and foreign affairs ministries, as well as representatives from Egyptian church and the main religious Islamic body Al-Azhar.
The scuffle between the two communities broke out on the eve of Coptic Christmas in the southern Egyptian town of Nagaa Hammadi as the members of Christian community were leaving church after midnight mass.
Following the incident, European Union`s Parliament and the US congress criticised the Egyptian government for its apparent failure to protect the Christians, who are a minority in Egypt.
The Egyptian Foreign Ministry in response criticised the statement by the EU, saying this was an internal matter and no foreign body should interfere.
Meanwhile, hundreds of Egyptian Christians in Europe organised rallies in major cities to call for protection of Christians in Egypt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next