Egypt clashes: US delegation in Cairo to hold talks
Cairo: In the wake of recent clashes between Christians and Muslims in Egypt in which six Christians were killed and nine injured, a US Congress delegation has arrived here to examine the situation and meet representatives of both the communities.
The delegates are expected to visit the site of violence in upper Egypt and meet with members of national council for human rights, interior and foreign affairs ministries, as well as representatives from Egyptian church and the main religious Islamic body Al-Azhar.
The scuffle between the two communities broke out on the eve of Coptic Christmas in the southern Egyptian town of Nagaa Hammadi as the members of Christian community were leaving church after midnight mass.
Following the incident, European Union`s Parliament and the US congress criticised the Egyptian government for its apparent failure to protect the Christians, who are a minority in Egypt.
The Egyptian Foreign Ministry in response criticised the statement by the EU, saying this was an internal matter and no foreign body should interfere.
Meanwhile, hundreds of Egyptian Christians in Europe organised rallies in major cities to call for protection of Christians in Egypt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details