Egypt commemorates 1973 war anniversary
Cairo: Egypt commemorated on Sunday the 40th anniversary of the 1973 war against Israel with rival rallies by supporters and opponents of the Muslim Brotherhood.
Security forces and vehicles were deployed around the main squares of the country to prevent anticipated violence as loyalists of ousted president Mohamed Morsi called for massive continuous protests in Tahrir Square from Friday till Morsi is reinstated.
Tahrir Square, the epic centre of the 2011 Egyptian unrest that toppled former president Hosni Mubarak, was sealed off with tanks and barbed wire, Xinhua reported.
All the entrances to Tahrir were blocked except Abdel Moniem Reyadh, which was open to protestors coming for celebrations under the tight control of security personnel.
Military jet fighters flew overhead, while demonstrators waved Egyptian flags, and state media and some private networks aired national songs round the clock along with documentaries of the war that glorify the military.
Deomnstrators were chanting songs for the army, carrying pictures for Defence Minister Abdel Fattah Sisi.
The interior ministry warned Saturday against "attempts that may disturb the October 6 celebrations in Egypt".
Also, Prime Minister Hazem al-Beblawi said in a statement Saturday that "evil elements" still posed a danger, but have lost much of their power, referring to the Muslim Brotherhood.
At least four people were killed Friday as Islamists attempted to enter Tahrir Square under the call of the National Alliance for Supporting Legitimacy, whose members mainly come from the Muslim Brotherhood.
Interim President Adli Mansour appealed to all Egyptians Saturday to take to the streets to celebrate Egypt`s great victory which led to the recovery of the Sinai Peninsula.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?