Egypt confiscates warheads smuggled from Libya
Cairo: Egyptian security officials say authorities have confiscated trucks carrying explosive warheads and a variety of small-arms ammunition smuggled from Libya.
They say authorities seized the pick-up trucks, carrying some 108 warheads for Soviet-designed Grad rockets, near Marsa Matrouh, 430 kilometers (270 miles) northwest of Cairo on the Mediterranean coast. Suspected smugglers had fled the scene.
Officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren`t authorised to brief reporters.
A flood of weapons from Libya has added to security concerns in Egypt, where police have yet to fully return to their duties since last year`s uprising.
Smuggled weapons often fall into the hands of Islamist militants in the Sinai Peninsula, or pass via underground tunnels to the Gaza Strip, where combat between Hamas militants and Israel is currently ongoing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- India deeply appreciates US' engagement in Asia-Pacific: Ashton Carter
- VVIP chopper scam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi had admitted to meeting middleman Haschke
- F-16 fighter jets sold to Pakistan could be used against India: US lawmakers
- Fee hike: Schools will not budge with dharnas, submit a written complaint, Manish Sisodia tells parents
- Know what Shah Rukh Khan feels about PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make In India’ initiative