Egypt confiscates warheads smuggled from Libya
Cairo: Egyptian security officials say authorities have confiscated trucks carrying explosive warheads and a variety of small-arms ammunition smuggled from Libya.
They say authorities seized the pick-up trucks, carrying some 108 warheads for Soviet-designed Grad rockets, near Marsa Matrouh, 430 kilometers (270 miles) northwest of Cairo on the Mediterranean coast. Suspected smugglers had fled the scene.
Officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren`t authorised to brief reporters.
A flood of weapons from Libya has added to security concerns in Egypt, where police have yet to fully return to their duties since last year`s uprising.
Smuggled weapons often fall into the hands of Islamist militants in the Sinai Peninsula, or pass via underground tunnels to the Gaza Strip, where combat between Hamas militants and Israel is currently ongoing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed