Egypt confiscates warheads smuggled from Libya
Cairo: Egyptian security officials say authorities have confiscated trucks carrying explosive warheads and a variety of small-arms ammunition smuggled from Libya.
They say authorities seized the pick-up trucks, carrying some 108 warheads for Soviet-designed Grad rockets, near Marsa Matrouh, 430 kilometers (270 miles) northwest of Cairo on the Mediterranean coast. Suspected smugglers had fled the scene.
Officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren`t authorised to brief reporters.
A flood of weapons from Libya has added to security concerns in Egypt, where police have yet to fully return to their duties since last year`s uprising.
Smuggled weapons often fall into the hands of Islamist militants in the Sinai Peninsula, or pass via underground tunnels to the Gaza Strip, where combat between Hamas militants and Israel is currently ongoing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test