Egypt considers buffer zone along Gaza border
Cairo: Egypt is considering establishing a one-km-deep buffer zone along the eastern border with Gaza in a move to heighten security, media reported on Thursday.
The buffer zone will be free of homes and farms so that the security personnel can have a clear vision of the border, Xinhua reported citing a report by state-run news agency MENA quoting an official source.
The source said the buffer zone will be free of homes and farms so that the security personnel can have a clear vision of the border. Gaza has a similar buffer zone with a depth of 2.5 km.
The buffer zone will help crack down on the tunnels beneath the border and prevent violations of the Egyptian border and national security, the source added.
In the past two days, Egyptian authorities have found 38 tunnels inside 28 houses near the Rafah crossing, 400 other tunnels were discovered on dense olive farms.
These tunnels have been used for smuggling, illegal immigration and infiltration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’