Egypt court extends Jazeera journalist detention 45 days
Cairo: An Egyptian court extended for a further 45 days Wednesday the detention of an Al-Jazeera journalist who has been on hunger strike for nearly five months, judicial sources said.
Abdullah Elshamy, who works for the main Arabic channel of the Qatar-based network, was arrested August 14 when police dispersed supporters of ousted president Mohamed Morsi in Cairo.
Elshamy, who has yet to face trial, has been on hunger strike since January 21 to protest his detention, according to his family.
The authorities have been incensed by Al-Jazeera`s coverage of their crackdown on Morsi supporters, in which more than 1,400 have been killed in street clashes and at least 15,000 jailed.
Elshamy`s family told AFP in May that he had shed 40 kilogrammes (88 pounds) since he began the hunger strike.
Three other Al-Jazeera journalists with the network`s English-language channel are held in Egypt and on trial for defamation and supporting Morsi`s Brotherhood.
The trial of Australian Peter Greste, Egyptian-Canadian Mohamed Fadel Fahmy, Baher Mohamed and 17 other co-defendants has sparked an international outcry.
On June 5, prosecutors demanded the "maximum" penalty for all 20 defendants in this trial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video