Egypt: Court overturns Mursi’s Parliament order
Cairo: In another political turmoil in Egypt, the highest court in the country on Tuesday overturned a decree by President Mohammed Mursi to recall Parliament.
The lower house of the Egyptian Parliament had reconvened on Tuesday despite the Constitutional Court`s decision to dissolve it.
The lawmakers met after newly-elected President Mohammed Mursi overturned the court judgment.
Parliament Speaker Saad al-Katatni said the session would only have one item on the agenda -- "a mechanism for the implementation of the Constitutional Court`s ruling".
"The Egyptian Parliament will not pit itself against the country`s judiciary and defy the court`s rulings," he said.
The lawmakers approved his proposal to seek legal advice from a high appeals court on how to implement the supreme court`s ruling, following which Katatni adjourned the session.
According to CNN, Parliament, recalled by Mursi, convened for less than an hour on Tuesday.
The session was the first since the nation`s highest court said Parliamentary Elections were unconstitutional, prompting the military to disband the body, it reported.
Mursi, who took office on June 30, opted to override the edict of the military, which has run the country since the 2011 revolution that ousted longtime leader Hosni Mubarak.
Under the Egyptian law, the court`s rulings are final, not subject to appeal and are binding on all government branches.
Mursi said on Monday he was recalling Parliament and would hold an election once a Constitution was in place.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far