Egypt criticises US remarks over aid
Cairo: Egypt on Saturday criticised a comment by a State Department spokeswoman that Egypt used US aid "against their own people".
State Department spokeswomen Marie Harf was asked during a press briefing on Thursday in Washington why military aid to Israel had not been suspended like it had been for Egypt in October 2013, given the large number of civilian deaths in Gaza.
She replied saying that "they`re not comparable situations. In Egypt, you had a government cracking down on its own people. In Israel, you have a government fighting an external threat that`s coming from Gaza that is from a terrorist organisation. Those are in no way equivalent situations."
Spokesman for Egypt`s Foreign Ministry Badr Abdelatty said in a Saturday statement that Harf`s comments "are not even credible and completely ignorant of realities of matters in Egypt".
"The comparison between Egypt`s situation and the Israeli offensive in Gaza is not justified nor accepted," Abdelatty said.
Abdelatty further challenged Harf, asking for specific examples of the suppression of protesters using US military aid that she described, adding it was "not mentioned because it is sheer fantasy".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Indian Army prepares to secure Arunachal Pradesh from China
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Gold smuggling: Government loses over $1 billion in revenue
- Govt rejects Infosys proposal to set up IT SEZ in West Bengal
- Urjit Patel as new RBI head to ensure continuity: Mundra
- Manipur tribals to observe unity day on Aug 31
- India is 7th wealthiest country in the world, ahead of Canada, Australia and Italy