Egypt: Deal on constitutional panel sealed
Cairo: Egypt`s ruling generals and representatives of 22 political parties have agreed on how to form a panel tasked with drafting a new Constitution, breaking a three-month deadlock on the issue.
The state news agency says the meeting called by military ruler Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi agreed on how to select the panel`s 100 members and what its voting mechanism would be. Under the agreement, Islamists will take half of the panel`s seats.
The Muslim Brotherhood and other Islamists, who dominate Egypt`s Parliament, packed a previous panel with their supporters, sparking an angry outcry and prompting a court to order it disbanded.
The agreement comes after Egypt`s ruling military council threatened on Tuesday to issue its own blueprint if parties failed to come up with one within 48 hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader