Egypt: Deal on constitutional panel sealed
Cairo: Egypt`s ruling generals and representatives of 22 political parties have agreed on how to form a panel tasked with drafting a new Constitution, breaking a three-month deadlock on the issue.
The state news agency says the meeting called by military ruler Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi agreed on how to select the panel`s 100 members and what its voting mechanism would be. Under the agreement, Islamists will take half of the panel`s seats.
The Muslim Brotherhood and other Islamists, who dominate Egypt`s Parliament, packed a previous panel with their supporters, sparking an angry outcry and prompting a court to order it disbanded.
The agreement comes after Egypt`s ruling military council threatened on Tuesday to issue its own blueprint if parties failed to come up with one within 48 hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory