Egypt: Deal on constitutional panel sealed
Cairo: Egypt`s ruling generals and representatives of 22 political parties have agreed on how to form a panel tasked with drafting a new Constitution, breaking a three-month deadlock on the issue.
The state news agency says the meeting called by military ruler Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi agreed on how to select the panel`s 100 members and what its voting mechanism would be. Under the agreement, Islamists will take half of the panel`s seats.
The Muslim Brotherhood and other Islamists, who dominate Egypt`s Parliament, packed a previous panel with their supporters, sparking an angry outcry and prompting a court to order it disbanded.
The agreement comes after Egypt`s ruling military council threatened on Tuesday to issue its own blueprint if parties failed to come up with one within 48 hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP triumphs across state; hung verdict in BMC elections
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test