Egypt denies banning Jewish festival at Alexandria synagogue
Cairo: Egyptian authorities Monday denied any orders being given to ban the celebration of Jewish New Year in the country`s last active synagogue in Alexandria due to security concerns.
Security forces working on securing the temple do not prevent anybody from praying in the synagogue or entering it, Alexandria security director Khaled Gharaba said, according to MENA news agency.
All the news fanned by some newspapers and websites about prohibiting prayers in the synagogue for the Jewish New Year are "groundless and void of truth", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060