Egypt detains 16 Russians, Moldovans for killing smuggler
El-Arish: Sixteen Russians and Moldovans who killed the Egyptian smuggler who was going to help slip them across the border into Israel have been detained in Egypt, a security official said on Sunday.
Some of the would-be migrants attacked and fatally
stabbed smuggler Massud Salim, 31, after he attempted to rape
one of the female members of the group, the official said.
The group of 12 men and four women then handed themselves
over to Egyptian police, fearing a revenge attack by Salim`s
family, the official added.
The migrants had paid Salim around USD 1,000 each to take
them into Israel where they were going to look for employment,
they told police during questioning.
On Friday, Egyptian police shot and killed a Sudanese man
as he tried to cross the porous border into Israel, raising to
31 the number of migrants killed on the border since the
beginning of the year -- 26 of them by Egyptian police.
The border has become a major trafficking route for
African migrants seeking jobs and for eastern European women
headed for the sex trade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday