Egypt drops treason charges against top Egyptian opposition
Cairo: Egypt Sunday dropped treason charges against top opposition leaders including ex-IAEA chief Mohammed ElBaradei, extending an olive branch to the leaders who had accused President Mohamed Mursi of trying to muzzle dissent.
The country`s top prosecutor had ordered an investigation into accusations against against the Constitution Party head Mohammed ElBaradei, Nobel Prize laureate and former head of the UN nuclear agency, along with Amr Moussa, former foreign minister and Hamdeen Sabahi, leader of the Dignity Party, of incitement to overthrow the regime of Mursi.
Moussa and Sabahy both had challenged Mursi for the presidency in a June poll, which followed the 2011 uprising against the long-time dictator Hosni Mubarak.
Asqalani, a member of the Freedoms Committee at the Lawyers Syndicate, said that he had filed the complaint at the time of the Ettehadeya Presidential Palace clashes that led to the death of several people.
He said it was a dark time when Egyptian blood was being shed, and suggested that "everything that has happened may be part of a conspiracy against the country."
The plaintiff stressed that he respects all national forces who seek to uphold the principles of democracy, as he respects President Mursi who himself recognises the opposition and freedom of opinion.
Asqalani cited four reasons for withdrawing his complaint against the leading members of the National Salvation Front (NSF), pointing first to freedom of opinion and expression.
Secondly, he said, the opposition had played a role in toppling the dictatorship of Mubarak, and thirdly, that they had helped make President Mursi the first legitimate president elected in Egypt`s ancient and modern history.
Finally, Asqalani said, the opposition represent a safety valve to activate democracy in the new Egypt.
Egypt`s main opposition coalition, the NSF, had alleged that two round of a referendum over a contentious draft constitution, held on December 15 and 22, was won by Islamists through "irregularities and violations."
The front had also opposed Mursi`s decree that awarded him extra powers on November 22 and then fast-tracked the constitution through an assembly dominated by his Islamist allies and boycotted by many liberals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA