Egypt: Final results confirm Islamists top vote
Cairo: The Muslim Brotherhood`s electoral coalition has won 38 percent of seats allocated to party lists for Egypt`s Parliament, with Islamists of various stripes taking more than two thirds of the assembly, in line with with their own forecasts.
According to final results issued by the High Elections Committee on Saturday, the hardline Islamist Nour Party won 29 percent of list seats. The secular New Wafd and the Egyptian Bloc coalition came third and fourth respectively.
Under a complex electoral system, two thirds of seats in Egypt`s 498-seats lower house are decided by proportional representation on closed party lists. The other third are contested by individual candidates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Prayers being held for Yakub Memon at Bada Kabristan before his burial
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened