Egypt forms panel to amend constitution
Cairo: Egypt`s interim president on Sunday appointed a committee of experts to amend the constitution that was suspended following the military`s overthrow of president Mohamed Morsi, the presidency said.
Under a decree issued by the caretaker president, Adly Mansour, the committee, which consists of four university professors and six judges, will begin its work tomorrow.
The committee members will have 30 days to make their amendments, which will then be presented to a 50-person body representing different groups in Egyptian society.
The larger panel will include members of political parties and trade unions, religious officials and army officers, and will in turn have another two months to make final changes to the draft before submitting it to the president.
Mansour will then have 30 days to call a referendum on the charter.
Ousted Islamist president Morsi`s government adopted the controversial previous constitution by referendum in December 2012 with a majority of 64 per cent, but a voter turnout of just 33 per cent.
Opposition politicians and members of Egypt`s Coptic Christian community denounced the Islamist-drafted text, which was also criticised by UN rights chief Navi Pillay for curtailing certain rights, including those of non-Muslims.
Egypt`s caretaker president issued a charter last Monday outlining the timetable for the constitutional reforms, as well as fresh parliamentary and presidential elections due to be held early next year.
Shortly after it was announced, Morsi`s Muslim Brotherhood rejected the temporary charter as a decree enforced by "putschists".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya