Egypt frees 14 Palestinian prisoners
Gaza: The Egyptian authorities late Tuesday released 14 Palestinian prisoners detained during the rule of ousted president Hosni Mubarak, the Palestinian Al Quds radio station has reported.
The decision to free the detainees was made by the Egyptian Supreme Council of Armed Forces (SCAF), which took power in the country following Mubarak`s resignation in mid-February.
Smuggler Muhammad Ash-Shaer, known in Gaza as the "King of tunnels" and "Al-Far" (the mouse), was among those freed, the radio station said. The released Palestinians have already arrived in Gaza, it said.
In early March, the Egyptian authorities released 12 Palestinian prisoners after they went on a hunger strike in protest against their "illegal" detention.
More than 30 detainees, including Ayman Nofal, a key member of the Hamas` armed wing Qassam Brigades, escaped from Egyptian jails amid February`s unrest in the country that overthrew Mubarak`s regime.
According to Palestinian human rights activists, a total of 19 Palestinians remain in Egyptian prisons.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know