Egypt frees 14 Palestinian prisoners
Gaza: The Egyptian authorities late Tuesday released 14 Palestinian prisoners detained during the rule of ousted president Hosni Mubarak, the Palestinian Al Quds radio station has reported.
The decision to free the detainees was made by the Egyptian Supreme Council of Armed Forces (SCAF), which took power in the country following Mubarak`s resignation in mid-February.
Smuggler Muhammad Ash-Shaer, known in Gaza as the "King of tunnels" and "Al-Far" (the mouse), was among those freed, the radio station said. The released Palestinians have already arrived in Gaza, it said.
In early March, the Egyptian authorities released 12 Palestinian prisoners after they went on a hunger strike in protest against their "illegal" detention.
More than 30 detainees, including Ayman Nofal, a key member of the Hamas` armed wing Qassam Brigades, escaped from Egyptian jails amid February`s unrest in the country that overthrew Mubarak`s regime.
According to Palestinian human rights activists, a total of 19 Palestinians remain in Egyptian prisons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!