Egypt frees 14 Palestinian prisoners
Gaza: The Egyptian authorities late Tuesday released 14 Palestinian prisoners detained during the rule of ousted president Hosni Mubarak, the Palestinian Al Quds radio station has reported.
The decision to free the detainees was made by the Egyptian Supreme Council of Armed Forces (SCAF), which took power in the country following Mubarak`s resignation in mid-February.
Smuggler Muhammad Ash-Shaer, known in Gaza as the "King of tunnels" and "Al-Far" (the mouse), was among those freed, the radio station said. The released Palestinians have already arrived in Gaza, it said.
In early March, the Egyptian authorities released 12 Palestinian prisoners after they went on a hunger strike in protest against their "illegal" detention.
More than 30 detainees, including Ayman Nofal, a key member of the Hamas` armed wing Qassam Brigades, escaped from Egyptian jails amid February`s unrest in the country that overthrew Mubarak`s regime.
According to Palestinian human rights activists, a total of 19 Palestinians remain in Egyptian prisons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?