Egypt frees Morsi`s son arrested in drugs case
Cairo: A son of deposed Islamist president Mohamed Morsi was freed on Sunday a day after being arrested on suspicion of possessing hashish, judicial sources said.
Police said they found two joints on 19-year-old Abdullah Morsi and a friend in a car parked by the roadside in Qalyubia province north of Cairo, security officials said yesterday.
They were released pending investigation after agreeing to give urine samples, judicial sources said, adding that the results had not yet been released.
Morsi`s other son, Osama, had dismissed the accusations, saying the authorities were "fabricating the case" and that his brother`s arrest was an attempt to "defame the family".
Morsi and his Muslim Brotherhood have been the target of a relentless government crackdown since the Islamist was ousted last July after just a year in office.
Amnesty International says that more than 1,400 people have been killed, mostly Morsi supporters, in street clashes since his ouster.
Morsi himself and several Brotherhood leaders have been put on trial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi