Egypt gets new Grand Mufti
Cairo: Egypt`s leading religious scholars on Tuesday elected an apolitical Islamic law professor as the country`s grand mufti, a position whose holder carries wide influence over legislation and social affairs.
The 24-member Senior Scholars Authority elected Dr Shawky Ibrahim Allam, professor of Islamic law in Tanta University, as the new Grand Mufti and the matter has been sent to the president to issue his decision, a statement from al-Azhar said.
President Mohammed Mursi, a Muslim Brotherhood member, is expected to formalise his appointment soon.
Allam is to replace the outgoing mufti, Ali Goma, who will retire at the age of 61 next March. Goma had been in the position since 2003.
Earlier this month, the Egyptian presidency turned down a request by the Al-Azhar Scholars to extend Goma`s tenure, the website said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'