Egypt gets new Grand Mufti
Cairo: Egypt`s leading religious scholars on Tuesday elected an apolitical Islamic law professor as the country`s grand mufti, a position whose holder carries wide influence over legislation and social affairs.
The 24-member Senior Scholars Authority elected Dr Shawky Ibrahim Allam, professor of Islamic law in Tanta University, as the new Grand Mufti and the matter has been sent to the president to issue his decision, a statement from al-Azhar said.
President Mohammed Mursi, a Muslim Brotherhood member, is expected to formalise his appointment soon.
Allam is to replace the outgoing mufti, Ali Goma, who will retire at the age of 61 next March. Goma had been in the position since 2003.
Earlier this month, the Egyptian presidency turned down a request by the Al-Azhar Scholars to extend Goma`s tenure, the website said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble