Egypt guards kill migrant trying to enter Israel
Rafah (Egypt): An Egyptian security official says border guards have shot and killed a Sudanese man who was trying to illegally cross into Israel.
The official said today the guards fired in the air, but the Sudanese man ignored the warnings and was shot dead. The body of 19-year-old Mukhtar al-Hafed al-Bashir was taken to the hospital in Rafah near the border.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to brief reporters.
Egyptian border guards frequently open fire on African migrants trying to sneak into Israel, drawing criticism from human rights groups.
Thousands of Africans try to reach Israel from Egypt every year, risking a dangerous desert crossing, seeking work or asylum.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje