Egypt guards kill migrant trying to enter Israel
Rafah (Egypt): An Egyptian security official says border guards have shot and killed a Sudanese man who was trying to illegally cross into Israel.
The official said today the guards fired in the air, but the Sudanese man ignored the warnings and was shot dead. The body of 19-year-old Mukhtar al-Hafed al-Bashir was taken to the hospital in Rafah near the border.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to brief reporters.
Egyptian border guards frequently open fire on African migrants trying to sneak into Israel, drawing criticism from human rights groups.
Thousands of Africans try to reach Israel from Egypt every year, risking a dangerous desert crossing, seeking work or asylum.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid