Egypt gunmen kill five in Sinai
Cairo: Gunmen in Egypt`s Sinai Peninsula, a hotbed of Islamist militant activity, killed three policemen and a soldier today while shooting dead a civilian in another attack, officials said.
Masked attackers shot three policemen guarding a police station in the North Sinai town of El-Arish before fleeing, a security official said.
Later, unidentified assailants in a car fired at an armoured military vehicle in the south of the town, killing a soldier before fleeing, said the same source.
In the Sheikh Zuwayed area, near the border with the Gaza Strip, gunmen opened fire near a checkpoint, killing a civilian, another official said.
Militants in Sinai intensified their campaign against security forces after the military ousted Islamist president Mohamed Morsi on July 3.
Dozens of soldiers and policemen have been killed in daily attacks, as the army has poured troops and armour into the lawless peninsula that straddles Africa and Asia to crush the insurgency.
The Sinai offensive comes as part of a massive crackdown by the army-installed authorities on Islamists, which has seen hundreds killed and more than 2,000 arrested nationwide.
Morsi, the country`s first democratically elected leader, is himself detained, as is the leadership of his Muslim Brotherhood.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parliamentary panel asks coal PSUs, govt to recover dues
- OMG! Zarina Wahab leaves house post Aditya Pancholi's name crops up in Kangana-Hrithik saga?
- SAMCO launches Season 2 of the Indian Trading League
- How Twitter can help prevent asthma-related hospitalisation!
- Enrica Lexie case: Italy cites UN tribunal ruling, seeks Italian marine's release; India differs