Egypt: Islamist group names cleric for president
Cairo: An ultraconservative Islamist group has
put forward a fundamentalist cleric as its candidate in
Egypt`s upcoming presidential elections after reports surfaced
that a leading Islamist candidate currently in the race may be
The Gamaa Islamiya, or Islamic Group, said it has
selected Safwat Hegazy, a prominent imam who preaches on
television and who took part in last year`s protests that
toppled President Hosni Mubarak.
While Hegazy`s views have won him many supporters in
Egypt, they have proven too extreme for some in the West. Last
month France barred him from entering the country for an
Islamic conference along with a number of other high-profile
Muslim clerics on the grounds that they "call for hatred and
The Gamaa Islamiya was a militant organization that
fought Mubarak`s regime in a bloody insurgency in the 1990s,
seeking to establish an Islamic state. It has since renounced
violence. Their newly-formed Construction and Development
Party has 18 seats total in both houses of Parliament.
The group`s leader, Abdel-Akher Hamad, said Hegazy was
chosen as their candidate because he is a well-known cleric
who supports the application of Islamic law.
"For us, he is a pillar of understanding and not an
extremist," Hamad said.
The party said Hegazy has accepted their request he run
for president. He could not be immediately reached for
Hegazy`s name was put forward one day before the deadline
for submitting applications to run for president. He will have
to get the backing of 30 lawmakers or 30,000 signatures by
According to Hamad, the last minute decision to support
Hegazy was spurred by fears that another ultraconservative
candidate, Hazem Abu Ismail, could be disqualified from
running after Egypt`s election commission said yesterday that
his mother was a US citizen.
A law put in place after Mubarak`s fall stipulates that a
candidate, as well as their spouse and parents, may not have
any other citizenship than Egyptian.
Speaking to hundreds in a crowded mosque yesterday, Abu
Ismail said he has proof his mother was not a US citizen and
called the allegations a "plot" against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi