Egypt Islamists slam government `failure`
Cairo: The party belonging to the powerful
Muslim Brotherhood on Tuesday slammed the "failure" of the
military-appointed government, and renewed its call for a
national consensus cabinet.
"Egypt still suffers increasing economic and security
crises which confirms the failure of the current government,"
the Freedom and Justice Party said in a statement.
Maintaining the cabinet of Prime Minister Kamal Ganzuri
"shows a clear desire to transfer more crises to any future
government," it said.
The FJP, which won a crushing victory in recent
parliamentary elections, stressed "the need to form a national
consensus government that expresses the choice of the Egyptian
people in the legislative elections."
The Brotherhood has recently called for the government to
be sacked, saying it should govern.
In the statement, the FJP also reiterated its "rejection"
of the government`s acceptance of a loan from the
International Monetary Fund.
"Looking for painkillers to fix economic problems raises
many questions," said the FJP. It said the country could rely
on many of its financial resources "before resorting to
Egypt`s finance minister said his government would sign a
memorandum of understanding with the IMF in March for a
previously spurned USD 3.2 billion loan, state media reported
The loan would be paid in three installments, the first
as soon as the agreement is signed, he added.
Egypt had turned down the loan last year, saying it did
not want to add to its foreign debt, but reconsidered as its
economy plummeted and much of the promised aid from Arab and
Western donors did not materialise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- If Bihar marches forward, then nation will also progress: PM Modi
- Watch: CCTV footage of open firing on a liquor shop in Jabalpur
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!