Egypt Islamists slam government `failure`
Cairo: The party belonging to the powerful
Muslim Brotherhood on Tuesday slammed the "failure" of the
military-appointed government, and renewed its call for a
national consensus cabinet.
"Egypt still suffers increasing economic and security
crises which confirms the failure of the current government,"
the Freedom and Justice Party said in a statement.
Maintaining the cabinet of Prime Minister Kamal Ganzuri
"shows a clear desire to transfer more crises to any future
government," it said.
The FJP, which won a crushing victory in recent
parliamentary elections, stressed "the need to form a national
consensus government that expresses the choice of the Egyptian
people in the legislative elections."
The Brotherhood has recently called for the government to
be sacked, saying it should govern.
In the statement, the FJP also reiterated its "rejection"
of the government`s acceptance of a loan from the
International Monetary Fund.
"Looking for painkillers to fix economic problems raises
many questions," said the FJP. It said the country could rely
on many of its financial resources "before resorting to
Egypt`s finance minister said his government would sign a
memorandum of understanding with the IMF in March for a
previously spurned USD 3.2 billion loan, state media reported
The loan would be paid in three installments, the first
as soon as the agreement is signed, he added.
Egypt had turned down the loan last year, saying it did
not want to add to its foreign debt, but reconsidered as its
economy plummeted and much of the promised aid from Arab and
Western donors did not materialise.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know