Egypt Islamists slam government `failure`
Cairo: The party belonging to the powerful
Muslim Brotherhood on Tuesday slammed the "failure" of the
military-appointed government, and renewed its call for a
national consensus cabinet.
"Egypt still suffers increasing economic and security
crises which confirms the failure of the current government,"
the Freedom and Justice Party said in a statement.
Maintaining the cabinet of Prime Minister Kamal Ganzuri
"shows a clear desire to transfer more crises to any future
government," it said.
The FJP, which won a crushing victory in recent
parliamentary elections, stressed "the need to form a national
consensus government that expresses the choice of the Egyptian
people in the legislative elections."
The Brotherhood has recently called for the government to
be sacked, saying it should govern.
In the statement, the FJP also reiterated its "rejection"
of the government`s acceptance of a loan from the
International Monetary Fund.
"Looking for painkillers to fix economic problems raises
many questions," said the FJP. It said the country could rely
on many of its financial resources "before resorting to
Egypt`s finance minister said his government would sign a
memorandum of understanding with the IMF in March for a
previously spurned USD 3.2 billion loan, state media reported
The loan would be paid in three installments, the first
as soon as the agreement is signed, he added.
Egypt had turned down the loan last year, saying it did
not want to add to its foreign debt, but reconsidered as its
economy plummeted and much of the promised aid from Arab and
Western donors did not materialise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations