‘Egypt Islamists to honour peace deal with Israel’
Cairo: Former US president Jimmy Carter said
on Friday that Islamist parties, who have taken political centre
stage in Egypt`s first post-revolution legislative polls, have
vowed to honour the peace treaty with Israel.
"All of the parties involved (in the election) have
expressed eagerness to continue with the peace treaty between
Israel and Egypt," Carter told reporters in Cairo.
The former president was presenting the Carter
Centre`s findings in the first elections since a popular
uprising ousted president Hosni Mubarak in February.
Carter, who was directly involved in the 1978 and 1979
Camp David Accords that led to Egypt`s peace treaty with
Israel, said the agreements had two parts: peace with Israel
and the guarantee of Palestinian rights.
Regarding peace with Israel, "that part of the accords
has been basically approved and honoured," Carter said.
But "the rights of Palestinians have been violated
with sometimes tacit approval from Washington and also from
Cairo," Carter said.
"All of the political parties and presidential
candidates with whom I have met assured me that both aspects
of the Camp David accords will be honoured in the future," he
The Muslim Brotherhood`s political arm, the Freedom
and Justice Party, has publicly pledged its commitment to the
"When I questioned the Salafists about this, they
assured me they had no intention of rejecting the peace
agreement," Carter said. He was referring to Al-Nur, the party
representing an ultra-conservative brand of Islam that has
claimed second place in the landmark polls after the FJP.
In 1979, Egypt became the first Arab country to sign a
peace treaty with Israel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Not given chance to explore my acting abilities: Shamita Shetty
- Sakshi Malik expresses desire to meet Virender Sehwag – Read Viru's HILARIOUS reply
- Airtel upgrades over 9,000 network sites under Open Network
- Thrilled to be a grandfather: Boman Irani
- Misbah-ul-Haq's conversation with wife Uzma on Twitter is a HUGE hit on the internet!