‘Egypt Islamists to honour peace deal with Israel’
Cairo: Former US president Jimmy Carter said
on Friday that Islamist parties, who have taken political centre
stage in Egypt`s first post-revolution legislative polls, have
vowed to honour the peace treaty with Israel.
"All of the parties involved (in the election) have
expressed eagerness to continue with the peace treaty between
Israel and Egypt," Carter told reporters in Cairo.
The former president was presenting the Carter
Centre`s findings in the first elections since a popular
uprising ousted president Hosni Mubarak in February.
Carter, who was directly involved in the 1978 and 1979
Camp David Accords that led to Egypt`s peace treaty with
Israel, said the agreements had two parts: peace with Israel
and the guarantee of Palestinian rights.
Regarding peace with Israel, "that part of the accords
has been basically approved and honoured," Carter said.
But "the rights of Palestinians have been violated
with sometimes tacit approval from Washington and also from
Cairo," Carter said.
"All of the political parties and presidential
candidates with whom I have met assured me that both aspects
of the Camp David accords will be honoured in the future," he
The Muslim Brotherhood`s political arm, the Freedom
and Justice Party, has publicly pledged its commitment to the
"When I questioned the Salafists about this, they
assured me they had no intention of rejecting the peace
agreement," Carter said. He was referring to Al-Nur, the party
representing an ultra-conservative brand of Islam that has
claimed second place in the landmark polls after the FJP.
In 1979, Egypt became the first Arab country to sign a
peace treaty with Israel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India