‘Egypt Islamists to honour peace deal with Israel’
Cairo: Former US president Jimmy Carter said
on Friday that Islamist parties, who have taken political centre
stage in Egypt`s first post-revolution legislative polls, have
vowed to honour the peace treaty with Israel.
"All of the parties involved (in the election) have
expressed eagerness to continue with the peace treaty between
Israel and Egypt," Carter told reporters in Cairo.
The former president was presenting the Carter
Centre`s findings in the first elections since a popular
uprising ousted president Hosni Mubarak in February.
Carter, who was directly involved in the 1978 and 1979
Camp David Accords that led to Egypt`s peace treaty with
Israel, said the agreements had two parts: peace with Israel
and the guarantee of Palestinian rights.
Regarding peace with Israel, "that part of the accords
has been basically approved and honoured," Carter said.
But "the rights of Palestinians have been violated
with sometimes tacit approval from Washington and also from
Cairo," Carter said.
"All of the political parties and presidential
candidates with whom I have met assured me that both aspects
of the Camp David accords will be honoured in the future," he
The Muslim Brotherhood`s political arm, the Freedom
and Justice Party, has publicly pledged its commitment to the
"When I questioned the Salafists about this, they
assured me they had no intention of rejecting the peace
agreement," Carter said. He was referring to Al-Nur, the party
representing an ultra-conservative brand of Islam that has
claimed second place in the landmark polls after the FJP.
In 1979, Egypt became the first Arab country to sign a
peace treaty with Israel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui