Egypt launches security sweep after Red Sea attack

Egypt has launched a wide security sweep of Sinai, as it continued to deny on Tuesday that the heavily-guarded peninsula could have been used to launch rockets that landed in Israel and Jordan.

Updated: Aug 03, 2010, 23:37 PM IST

Cairo: Egypt has launched a wide
security sweep of Sinai, as it continued to deny on Tuesday that
the heavily-guarded peninsula could have been used to launch
rockets that landed in Israel and Jordan.

A senior Jordanian official said earlier that his
country had proof the deadly rocket that struck the port town
of Aqaba on Monday had been fired from Sinai.
"Following the Jordanian comments, Egypt has
launched a wide security sweep of the Sinai peninsula," an
Egyptian official said on condition of anonymity
because he is not authorised to speak to the media.

But he insisted "there are no organised groups
operating in Sinai and security on the peninsula is extremely
tight. Any suspicious activity would have been detected," he
said.

At least five blasts were heard on Monday, with one
rocket exploding in open ground outside the Israeli resort of
Eilat, two crashing into the Red Sea and the rest hitting
Jordan, killing one person there.

The Jordanian official close to Amman`s
investigation of the attack said today that it was the second
such incident in three months.
"We can now say without hesitation that the Grad
rocket was launched from Sinai," he said.

PTI