Egypt lets Mubarak PM back in presidential race
Cairo: The last prime minister to serve under deposed Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak has been allowed to re-enter the race for the presidency, one day after electoral authorities disqualified him, the state news agency reported on Wednesday.
Analysts said Ahmed Shafiq`s re-entry into the race will make him the favourite of the military and a very strong contender to win Egypt`s Presidential Elections set for May 23-24, with a run-off scheduled in June.
"The presidential electoral committee headed by Farouk Soltan accepts the appeal of former Prime Minister Ahmed Shafiq, allowing him to contest the presidential race," MENA reported.
Shafiq had been disqualified on Tuesday after the ruling military council approved a new law drawn up by the Islamist-dominated Parliament denying political rights to anyone who served as president, vice president or prime minister in the decade prior to Mubarak`s fall in February of last year.
The electoral committee gave no reasons for accepting Shafiq`s appeal, although some analysts said it had acted to avoid further appeals that might have delayed the elections.
An ex-Air Force commander, Shafiq`s success in the elections would extend military rule in a country that has been led by Army officers since the overthrow of King Farouk in 1952.
He is likely to take votes that otherwise would go to Amr Moussa, the former chief of the Arab League who is seen as an alternative for voters who do not want an Islamist head of state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing