Egypt militant blows himself up to evade arrest: Police
Cairo: Police in Egypt said an Islamist militant blew himself up in his hideout to escape arrest today, wounding an officer in the process.
The militant had been holed up in a north Cairo apartment when police raided the building and he set off the explosives when surrounded, police said.
The blast injured a lieutenant, they said.
Police and the military are battling a militant insurgency in the Sinai Peninsula that has also spilled over into the capital and Suez Canal cities.
Al-Qaeda-inspired groups in the peninsula have claimed credit for some of the attacks, which have killed dozens of soldiers and policemen since the military overthrew Islamist president Mohamed Morsi in July.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda