Egypt militant blows himself up to evade arrest: Police
Cairo: Police in Egypt said an Islamist militant blew himself up in his hideout to escape arrest today, wounding an officer in the process.
The militant had been holed up in a north Cairo apartment when police raided the building and he set off the explosives when surrounded, police said.
The blast injured a lieutenant, they said.
Police and the military are battling a militant insurgency in the Sinai Peninsula that has also spilled over into the capital and Suez Canal cities.
Al-Qaeda-inspired groups in the peninsula have claimed credit for some of the attacks, which have killed dozens of soldiers and policemen since the military overthrew Islamist president Mohamed Morsi in July.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living