Egypt militant blows himself up to evade arrest: Police
Cairo: Police in Egypt said an Islamist militant blew himself up in his hideout to escape arrest today, wounding an officer in the process.
The militant had been holed up in a north Cairo apartment when police raided the building and he set off the explosives when surrounded, police said.
The blast injured a lieutenant, they said.
Police and the military are battling a militant insurgency in the Sinai Peninsula that has also spilled over into the capital and Suez Canal cities.
Al-Qaeda-inspired groups in the peninsula have claimed credit for some of the attacks, which have killed dozens of soldiers and policemen since the military overthrew Islamist president Mohamed Morsi in July.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian woman rescued from German refugee camp returns home, thanks government
- Signs that prove Lord Hanuman is still alive
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`