Egypt military junta restores feared secret police
London: Egypt`s interior ministry announced the resurrection of several controversial police units that were shut down following the country`s 2011 uprising.
Following the restoration of the secret police units, the interim government has been accused of attempting to return Egypt to the Mubarak era.
According to the Guardian, Egypt`s state security investigations service, Mabahith Amn ad-Dawla, a wing of the police force under President Hosni Mubarak, and a symbol of police oppression , was closed in March 2011 along with several units.
The new national security service (NSS) was established in its place.
But after Saturday`s massacre of at least 83 Islamists, interior minister Mohamed Ibrahim announced the reinstatement of the units, and referred to the NSS by its old name, the report said.
According to the report, Ibrahim`s move suggests he is using the ousting of Morsi, and a corresponding upsurge in support for Egypt`s police, as a smokescreen for the re-introduction of pre-2011 practices.
The announcement to restore the police came hours before Egypt`s interim prime minister was given the power to place the country in a state of emergency, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read