Egypt Muslim Brotherhood model a failure: Syria
Damascus: The Muslim Brotherhood has proven a failure in Egypt, Syria`s Information Minister Omran al-Zohbi said on Monday, as Egyptian protesters demonstrated for a second consecutive day against Islamist President Mohamed Mursi.
"It is clear the Muslim Brotherhood is incapable... Of running the state in Egypt. Their model has failed forever," Zohbi said at a press conference broadcast by Syrian state television.
"The Muslim Brotherhood`s regime in Egypt is dead, but the death certificate has not yet been published," the minister said.
There is long-standing animosity between the Syrian regime and the Muslim Brotherhood, and membership in the group has been punishable by death in Syria since the 1980s.
The Brotherhood today plays a key role in the exiled opposition National Coalition, which is recognised by more than 100 states and organisations as legitimate representative of the Syrian people.
A year on from taking power in Egypt, "they have managed to demolish... The state`s reputation", said Zohbi.
Egypt`s opposition today gave Mursi a day to quit or face civil disobedience.
The Egyptian health ministry said 16 people died yesterday in nationwide protests against Mursi, including eight in clashes between his supporters and opponents outside the Muslim Brotherhood headquarters in Cairo.
Zohbi meanwhile lashed out against the group for "destroying national unity" in Egypt.
The minister also slammed Turkey`s Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, a moderate Islamist and key backer of the uprising against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
In Turkey, Erdogan is also facing a wave of protests demanding his resignation.
Turkey`s ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) "has set a bad example in running the state", said Zohbi.
Turkey is hosting some 400,000 Syrian refugees who have fled the 27-month conflict back home.
It also serves as the opposition`s rear base.
The uprising against Assad began in March 2011, with peaceful anti-government demonstrations but became an armed insurgency after a brutal crackdown by the regime.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights watchdog says more than 100,000 people have been killed in the country`s war.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says