Egypt: Muslim Brotherhood warns of dangerous days
Cairo: The fundamentalist Muslim Brotherhood has warned that Egypt`s fragile democratic achievements are under threat, following a Supreme Court ruling that last year`s Parliamentary Elections were unconstitutional.
The Muslim Brotherhood said that Egypt could see ``dangerous`` days ahead if power returned to the previous regime.
The BBC quoted the Muslim Brotherhood as saying in a statement that the apex court`s decision indicated that Egypt was heading into "very difficult days that might be more dangerous than the last days of Mubarak`s rule".
"All the democratic gains of the revolution could be wiped out and overturned with the handing of power to one of the symbols of the previous era," it said.
The decision by the Supreme Court has plunged Egypt into turmoil after it called for fresh elections, claiming that the lat year`s first free and fair poll in decades was unconstitutional. The decision effectively puts legislative power into the hands of the ruling Supreme Council of Armed Forces (SCAF), who were tasked with overseeing Egypt`s transition after President Hosni Mubarak was toppled in February 2011.
The group`s candidate, Mohammed Mursi, will be facing ex-PM Ahmed Shafiq in a runoff Presidential Election. The court also upheld the right of Shafiq to run for president.
Many analysts believe that the court decisions will now make Shafiq`s win even more likely. Many other political figures have hit out at the court`s ruling, warning that the decision would leave the incoming president without a Parliament or a Constitution.
Islamist Abdul Moneim Aboul Fotouh, who took part in the first round of the presidential vote in May, said that dissolving Parliament would result in "a total coup. Anyone who imagines that the millions of youths will let this pass is dreaming”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo